Monday, January 21, 2008

drive-by blogging: toronado

Well, I might as well follow up my post about the new Liars Club with a post about what will possibly (?) be its central San Diego replacement.

Word on the street has been that Toronado is slated to open a San Diego branch in "early 2008." Having been there just once, I'm excited. I mean, look at what they have on draft in SF right now. (One can only surmise that most of those Nor. Cal. breweries will be So. Cal. breweries in the new location).

But, never content to rely on word on the street for more than a few weeks (I want answers, ok?) I sent a dispatch to San Francisco to get a firsthand report from the Toronado staff about the situation. (ok, he was going to SF anyway, and he was also going to Toronado anyway, but he promised me he'd ask.) The report? "Anyday now."

A report like "anyday" gets me excited, so I decided to dispatch myself to do a little investigating. Turns out "anyday" in Toronado bartender speak is a pretty liberal euphemism for, well...eventually.

Here's the building--it's on 30th between Lincoln and Polk


and here's what it looks like right now:

yep kids, looks like at least for a little while longer the forthcoming Toronado is pretty firmly rooted as a boarded up yoga studio.


the black marker on the sign is incredibly faded, but it definitely says Toronado. Here's some stellar photo editing for your enjoyment:


Anyway, look like the wait will be at least a few weeks longer. Luckily for anyone in the area, I recently discovered that the bike ride from Hillcrest to Hamilton's is incredibly do-able (and a mostly downhill ride that should definitely require a helmet). Just don't count on getting a cab within 40 minutes of when you decide you're ready to leave.

alright, well I think that's about enough citizen journalism for one day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I too have only been to Toronado once. It was the best beer experience of my life. I would drive the 500 miles again for that Double IPA they had on tap: Pliny the elder. Mmmmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

I agree that Toronado is a great beer establishment, and I am looking forward to the imminent arrival of the San Diego branch. However, I would like to mention that you can get pliny the elder at some bars in San Diego already. Obriens, best bar ever, on Convoy has pliny on tap perennially. Livewire on El Cajon boulevard also has pliny on tap regularly. And if you are lucky both places sometimes have pliny the younger on tap, which is Russian Rivers 3X IPA.