Wednesday, July 05, 2006

a convenient solution?

I started this blog about two years ago and have managed to post twice in that time frame (not the most stellar statistic). I pretty much had forgotten about it altogether until a thought crossed my mind at lunch today. So after letting this blog harmlessly linger in cyberspace for a good 25 months, I've decided to resuscitate it from oblivion.

The thought of reinstating this blog occurred to me this afternoon, but has been fermenting in my mind for some time. Since watching an Inconvenient Truth a few weeks ago, I've realized that while I am a pretty conscious person, I really haven't been giving a damn about what kind of consequences my everyday actions have been causing. I'm no environmentalist, but I'm not a malicious person either. I'm just your average Jane, falling somewhere in between. With this in mind, ever since I left the theater with Al Gore's vision of disaster lingering in my head, I've been wondering what I--as just one person--can do to help keep this world from coming to its climatic demise.

So you have this blog--my attempt to recount an average person's exploration into eco-friendliness. This isn't about going to extremes--I'm not about to sit in trees to save the forests, or plunge into a vegan lifestyle, or buy a hybrid car (because i can't afford one). Rather, I'm going to explore my options to see what little things I can do that remain simple and economical, and that also have a positive impact on the planet. By recounting my own experiences and evaluating not only the effort but the outcome of my actions, I hope to discover that one average person really can do a lot to help this planet stay alive and healthy. Wish me luck!

No comments: