Wednesday, May 30, 2007

deliciously sound=soundly delicious

I'm only about three chapters in to Barbara Kingsolver's Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, and I'm hooked. I actually think I may have to put the book on hiatus for a few days (see below), but I didn't want to wait to share this quote:

"Food is the rare moral arena in which the ethical choice is generally the one more likely to make you groan with pleasure. Why resist that?"

Amen sister. One of these days, when I actually sit down and put my personal food philosophy into words, I'm guessing it will come remarkably close.

Oh, and speaking of groaning with pleasure (and also trying to figure out the complicated world of food, fuel, and the environment so I can get to the point where I eloquently define my personal food philosophy), I was delighted by the sheer brilliance of yet another solid event taking place at the Stone Brewery: the book & a beer club.

And of course, I'm even more delighted at the first book selected, as this may finally get me to pick up the book I've pledged to read for a year but haven't actually opened the cover of (although to my defense I've read two exerpts - here and, in print, here -and pretty much know the plot, moral undertones, and conclusions by heart).

Mmm. I can't think of a more pleasurable Monday evening than one spent in a gorgeous garden, sipping on a pint of Stone Vanilla Smoked Porter while contemplating how we eat. Here's to Michael Pollan for inspiring and Greg Koch for making it happen.

No comments: